Stuff for people who are still a bit untamed, young at heart and full of dreams.

Thursday 17 January 2013

True Arran Gems

It seems that all beaches seem to have their own gems. When I was little we used to spend our holidays either at the North Sea or at the Baltic Sea. From Holland, Belgium or France I would always come home with a beautiful collection of shells and pebbles. Spending time on the shores of the Baltic Sea meant hunting for Amber. On an early morning after a storm you could find some lovely pieces which looked like golden honey.  The beautiful Isle of Iona conjures greenish Serpentine and black and white patterned pebbles among others.

And Arran has started my love for sea glass. They come in a beautiful range of turquoise, white and green. Brown and blue are already pretty rare colours, and I definitely jump with joy when I discover a red, orange or purple piece of glass among the pebbles. Arran sea glass doesn't come as smooth pebbles like the sea glass in Seaham, California or Hawaii. Most pieces tend to be rather flat and angular. But they are nevertheless lovely. For years I have simply collected them. They were gathering dust on the mantelpiece and about four times a year they were introduced to a soapy shower. A few years ago I started wire wrapping them into pendants which I sold at craft markets.


   
The first wire wrapped sea glass and beach ceramic pieces in 2009.

At the end of 2011 I learned how to drill sea glass without breaking the drill bits or the glass. And that was the beginning of unlimited possibilities. It came with the introduction of ear plugs and safety goggles. And restricted drilling times to keep my company sane.

Sea Glass and Driftwood Necklace

Sea Glass Pebbles

Aphrodite's Key



No comments:

Post a Comment